First things first. I got my new printer in the mail on Friday!!!
Ain’t she a beaut, Clark?
It is perfect, and I can’t wait to hook it up this morning. I have been working hard and have tons of things to print, and as soon I figure out which cord goes where and how to load the paper and get the ink in the right place I should be good to go by the holidays. I would like to public thank the kind friend who purchased this for my classroom, but I better check with him first to see if that is OK. Next thing you know everyone is asking him for a new printer for their classroom. If you would like to do something to help the choral kids at CHAMPS (and me too) head on over to It Takes a Village to see what you can do to help.
I have been thinking long and hard about how the first day of classes should look. Of course I have to go over tons of housekeeping stuff, but I want them to really get to know me on that first day. So…I came up with a list of things about me and what I believe in as a way for them to get to know what I am all about. I thought it would be fun to share them here, and you guys can add to them if you think of something that I missed. I haven’t given much thought to the order, which will be very important, so if you have any ideas on which one I should lead with please let me know. I know that the 6.5 of you that read this blog aren’t really “commenters” so you’ll have to make an exception on this one and comment. I am also not very sure on the usage of periods in a list so forgive my punctuation, Zach.
- I believe our hour together should be distraction free and focused on living in this beautiful moment together. This means, at the very least, no cell phones out.
- I know the entire dance to Beyonce’s Love on Top
- There is no such thing as an undercooked chocolate chip cookie.
- Hard work is always expected. It isn’t optional.
- If it is within my ability I will give you anything you need.
- I expect you to be fully committed to this group
- I expect you to be fully committed to bettering yourself each and every rehearsal
- I am an Iowan through and through.
- I don’t have a spleen
- I don’t give up on people very easily
- I don’t believe in the “can’t” only the “not yet”.
- If I am in my room and you need me just ask. If I can I will stop what I am doing and help you. If I can’t we will make an appointment to talk.
- I do not tolerate disrespect of any kind.
- I am a totally Klutz. If I fall in front of you please just pretend it didn’t happen.
- I am the first person to admit it if I make a mistake.
- I am a hugger.
- I don’t like eating lunch alone
- I feel our room is special. Treat it accordingly.
- I am the first person to laugh at myself if I make a mistake.
- I expect that if you have a problem with me you let me know before you talk to anyone else.
- I am a problem solver.
- My favorite candy is reeses peanut butter cups
- I don’t like going to movies alone.
- Perfection is never a goal of mine.
- I feel that hard work trumps talent
- I know the entire rap to Will Smith’s “Wild Wild West”.
- I am slowly learning the rap to “Rapper’s Delight” by The Sugar Hill Gang.
- I believe you get out what you put into something
- I love to bake and do it quite often for my students.
- I use an exorbitant amount of gestures in my classroom.
- I expect you to exorbitantly use the gestures that I give you. No phoning it in.
- If you are a smoker you should not be a singer. I have no problems telling you that everyday.
- Water is a singers absolute best friend.
- I always measure twice cut once.
- I love showing off my students.
- I care very deeply for my students. That can be good and bad.
- I have a very large collection of shoes.
- I have an abnormal fear of statues
- I believe every single person deserves to be treated like a human being. Even the ones you don’t like or disagree with.
- I couldn’t end the list on 39.
I am sure that before that first day I’ll think of a bunch more. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. That first day is a very important day, and I am nervous as heck. In order for me to expect to accomplish anything this year I have to start out on the right foot.
but at the very least I’ll be able to print stuff.
(That is a start right?)